Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 20:24, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 18:57, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > I have to agree.  Everyone here is talking about "distros."  Well, GNOME
> > is not just a DE for "distros."  It runs on Solaris (not a "distro"),
> > *BSD (not "distros"), and other UNIX-like OSes (some of which are not
> > Linux "distros").  If GNOME wants to be a DE that "Just Works," it needs
> > to be a solid bundle, offering all the applications a user expects in
> > their desktop, and not rely on the underlying OS to always provide the
> > missing bits.
>
> Let's keep the GNOME desktop/developer platform release in perspective.
> Including or not including something in that doesn't change the number
> of tarballs you have to download to get said something on Solaris, or
> ease of compilation.

Why is gnomemeeting part of the core desktop then?  It is quite
difficult to compile, and adds bulk that I think many users at this
stage could do without.

> All including something in the core means is that we can have a
> dependency of a core module on that something, and the something is
> necessarily (rather than optionally) synced with the core release cycle.
>
> > Like Eugenia has said, if you look at other desktops, they do provide
> > music and multimedia applications out of the box (e.g. WMP, iTunes,
> > QuickTime).  Why should GNOME be any different?
>
> GNOME desktop release isn't intended to be an entire desktop OS and
> application suite, or it would be indistinguishable from FreeBSD or
> Gentoo.

Certainly we could have Office and Productivity suites to compliment the
desktop, but I would argue that a media/music player is more essential
to the desktop than, say, a video conferencing application.

> Note, I do kind of like the idea of including rhythmbox in the core, but
> saying that GNOME has to have _everything_ in it just isn't right and
> probably including everything is counterproductive to progress.

Agreed.  Segmenting applications such as AbiWord, Gnumeric, Evolution,
etc. into other suites makes sense.  Most other OSes/desktops do similar
things.  A media player should come standard, though.

> Modularity is good, both code-wise and organization-wise.  Coordination
> between maintainers should only be introduced where useful, otherwise it
> becomes pointless bureaucracy.
>
> The line I feel we should clearly have is between the core desktop and
> "most applications" - some applications may need such tight desktop
> integration we have to include them, or just be basic utilities. But
> generally speaking the line around GNOME desktop release should exclude
> apps.
>
> Note carefully: the GNOME Project still includes apps, as we have other
> release sets such as GNOME Office, GNOME bindings, etc. The point here
> is about the core desktop release set, not GNOME the entire project.
>
> The argument for Rhythmbox IMO is that it has an important user
> datastore - music files - and I think we should be pushing for a vision
> of one UI for accessing and searching all your data, including music,
> movies, photos, documents, etc. Similar to the advantages of WinFS.

That's fine, but couldn't we also provide users something in the
meantime?

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke