Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

> >They'd be silly not to IMHO.  If I buy FooLinux (as j random user)
> >and it doesn't  include a way to play mp3s and movies,
> >I'm going to take it back and complain!
>
> Fedora and RHL don't support mp3s and proprietary movie formats, still

Yes, but as far as mp3 went, they were supporting it up until 9.0 or
so weren't they?  People stuck with redhat because they had up till 8.0
(the ones that kept with it of course) I would think.  IIRC a google
search for "redhat mp3" lead you to redhat mp3 packages anyway, but I
get your point :)

> My point is, the DE should offer as a bundle everything needed by a
> currently perceived as "modern desktop". IMHO, Rhythmbox is needed, because
> the times we live in require it (and FAM should be a requirement too,
> because it really has an impact in the experience of the system ;-). These
> apps are much more important for the user experience than let's say,
> gDesktlets or monkey-bubble.

Just in case I wasn't clear, I support rhythmbox as an inclusion, I use
it every day, just wanted to throw out that the distros would probably
include it anyway, because you're right, in this digitial age it *is*
needed.

That said, RB needs a more things to make it kick ass.  The ability to
burn an audio CD or mp3 CD (or multiple CDs) from a playlist and the
ability to sync up with a rio/ipod/digital music device, or provide a
frame work where people can write plugins for this type of thing.  I
know that's not an easy task of course, but speaking as a user, it's
something that I expect in this day and age.

Of course, that belongs on a different list alltogether! :)

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain