Re: Use of American/British English

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:51:39PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk> writes:
>
> > 1. Most developers have been taught British English in school.
>
> You keep repeating this but can you support this claim by facts?
> It's been a while but I think I have been taught the US spelling
> at school. I went to a (west-)german school if that matters.

Well, I don't have a survey of what practice there is in each country
with regards to English teaching, I am merely coming forward with an
educated guess, based on history and my own experiences.
Eg I know what is taught in Danish schools, and I have a fair
expectation about Canada, Australia, India, New Zealand and South Africa
and other nations or former nations of the British Commonwealth.
We all know that the queen of Canada and New Zealand both are named
Elizabeth II.

But Germany was probably occupied by the USA at the time you went to
school, so you are probably right about Germany. That is also why I think
the learn US English in Japan, where the USA had occupation troops for
quite some time after WW II.

But maybe other Gnome translators can tell us what kind of English they were
taught in school?

Best regards
keld