Re: Please, include Gnome System Tools in Gnome 2.6 (+suggestion for preferences)

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:53, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 14:31, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 12:10, Egle Kriaučiūnienė wrote:
>
> > > Why no ? More and more distros are using it (look at
> > > http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/distros.php)
> >
> > That is a lit of distributions which gst supports, not a list of
> > distributions that are using it. There is a big difference.

Personally, I'd  be far more interested in whether distros would _never_
use g-s-t, or if any distros feel that g-s-t could never meet their
needs. We didn't embrace epiphany and gnome-meeting because distros were
using them already.

So far they haven't told us. Embracing some of gnome-system-tools might
force them tell us.

> Correct.  To my knowledge, there is no mainstream distro at all that
> uses GST, and even some of the fringe ones of which I'm aware that
> provide GST don't recommend or advocate them for usage.

What does debian use for things like Users and Network settings in the
GUI? I thought that the debian-gnome team were at least planning to use
g-s-t.

I think g-s-t is used by gentoo, which some sections of society feel is
mainstream.

What does Ximian Desktop use? I would expect them to use g-s-t (formerly
ximian-setup-tools).

At 2.8 time, I will point out that
- We did nothing for system tools for 2.4, and nothing happened.
- We did nothing for system tools for 2.6, and nothing happened.
- We should do something for system tools for 2.8, so that something
happens.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com