Re: gnome-theme-manager ate my baby

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:59:13 +0100
Sebastien Bacher <seb128 aurel32 net> wrote:

> Le jeudi 09 décembre 2004 à 09:31 -0500, Andrew Johnson a écrit :
>
> > handler/callback(I think the window settings changed event -> gconf
> > update settings, but of course that itself could be a symptom not
> > the problem)
>
> I've made a patch for a similar bug with the background capplet some
> time ago. The capplet is writting a gconf value in the callback
> function of the monitor on the same key (#153419). According to the
> capplet maintainer it works fine on his system and should not loop so
> he has not included the patch. BTW it fixes the issue we had with the
> package I've patched ... perhaps that's the same kind of problem here
> ?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Sebastien Bacher

I'm not a gconf expert, but, as reported on gconf project page [1], this
could be a problem:

"As a rule of thumb, NEVER modify a GConf key in response to receiving a
notification from GConf. This is a recipe for infinite loops and
generally indicates a conceptual/design problem as well."

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/

--
Luca