Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Llu, 2004-12-06 at 04:15, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 17:20 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> I don't understand how .directory is different - in fact from reading
> that OS X link, "display names" on OS X are implemented in pretty much
> the same way as .directory files.

If your dot files are implemented so that they can be used to find the
"real" directory then you can implement a proper directory name too. If
you use them and still break the shell thats not a help.

If we have ".desktop" always is my desktop, and the link "Desktop"
changes name then I can still look in "Desktop" from any application (or
whatever it is in
my language of choice), at the same time code can always look at
"~/.desktop/..."

> I certainly agree that some spec or library on freedesktop.org should
> define said universe of files, and I've mentioned that a number of times
> in conference talks and so forth.

Agreed - and having that library would also let the final design change
if it proves inflexible enough providing the library API is kept the
same, or help adapt it to unusual cases.