Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 12:25 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sad, 2004-12-04 at 15:23, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > We can't always keep existing apps working *as well* as integrated apps.
> > They will be usable, just not quite as nice. And that's why we
> > constantly lobby for people to use the native toolkits and APIs, because
> > we *know* that fixing certain problems and making certain enhancements
> > will be a platform-by-platform job.
>
> You are appear to be determined to break all non gnome software. If that
> is your real agenda why not just admit it. If you want a desktop that is
> credible with ISV's of existing tools (like realplayer, acrobat reader,
> oracle management tools etc) then your design doesn't work.
>
> If you have a large user base then you have to deal with the fact that
> "normal" is not some tiny narrow market segment occupied solely by Red
> Hat and SuSE's business desktop target. The bigger your market the more
> shell users, the more non gnome app users. And if they can't use it they
> will go elsewhere.
>
> Gnome and FDO should be about INCLUSIVITY. Elimination of unneeded
> choices in the UI is not the same as making the product refuse to
> interoperate with in real world situations.

I agree with that but we do need FDO and thats why I would propose
creating a platform independent library (libFDO) which contains all
necessary functions for integrating into various desktops (it should
implement things like get_desktop_dir, get_documents_dir, et al).
Insisting on using native APIs and toolkits is likely to be
counter-productive in a lot of cases whilst a zero dependency, light
weight platform-neutral library would be more likely to be acceptable to
ISV's.

jamie.