Re: 2.8 bug report

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 13:02, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since my request for people to nominate 2.8.0 showstoppers, we've got
> > sort-of a list together (I have looked through these and got rid of
> > the
> > ones that were obviously not meant to be on it).
>
> And you removed one that the maintainer didn't like:
>
> Bug 138535: 'foot' menu atk_object_get_child_count broken by on-demand
> creation

	No, the maintainer removed it from the list.

> This bug really undermines accessibility of the 2.8.0 desktop.  A patch
> has been awaiting comment for 4 months, and only today received a
> comment[1].

	That's because Padraig assigned the bug to himself, not cc-ing
gnome-panel-maint and it dropped out of my sight.

> Not a nice state of affairs.  I think this bug is well worth any
> potential impact on panel, no workable alternative to the patch has been
> suggested, and the performance concerns are theoretical.   I'd like to
> see us have the opportunity to get feedback from Padraig, who produced
> the patch (and is on holiday at the moment), with an eye to getting the
> patch approved for 2.8.0.

	Blah, blah, blah. Talk to the bug report Bill.

> There's one other accessibility bug in the list (other than the
> accelerator keys problem, which obviously has a big a11y impact):
>
> 142834 nor Nor bill haneman sun com ASSI need new gesture listener for
> XInput valuator events whic...
>
> I wasn't expecting to get maintainer approval for this patch by freeze,
> but if the release team and maintainer are OK with a slightly later
> patch, I would be more than happy to revise and polish the patch with an
> eye to trying to commit within the week.  It's important to accessible
> login, but IMO not as critical as the panel issue.

	George is away for another week and a bit and asked me to handle any
critical GDM problems ...

	The patch is big, I'm nervous about large changes with only one release
to go, but on the flip side it can only effect accessibility if there
are serious problems with the patch and my hunch is that George would be
happy for you to go ahead.

	So - its your call, I think. If you think its important enough to risk
introducing regressions in accessible login, then I'll be happy to
review it more carefully and approve.

Cheers,
Mark.