Re: default theme consensus

On tor, 2004-08-19 at 10:21 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-18-08 at 15:18 -0400, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 19:39 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > >

> > > Denis Cranston said:
> > > Patch in bugzilla report #150418 has been approved.  I applied the patch
> > > to cvs HEAD.
> >
> > c.f. 150418
> >
> > It was reverted 15 minutes later
> >

> Well thats great, but what is the decision then?
>
> The *was* some consensus until you posted. It would have been helpful to
> hear from you earlier instead of right then.
>
> Will somebody please make up their mind then, its really not such a big
> deal, so it really shouldn't take this long to decide!
>
> Can I nominate *you* to make the final call then? No matter what the
> call is there'll be someone not perfectly content, but maybe a mail from
> "redhat.com" will be impressive enough to attain the *proper* kind of
> consensus.

Frankly, this has gone beyond silly and well into the realm of
embarrassing.

We had someone take a decision, and act on it.

Finally.

Now someone gets cold feet and reverts. WTF?!

Now, Glider is not perfect. Newsflash: neither is Indubstrial, or any of
the other options.

More newsflash: None of the components of our desktop (or any desktop)
is "perfect". Does that mean we should simply stop releasing anything,
ever?

What we do now is to re-revert the glider patch, and accept that someone
finally had the brass spheres to cut through the (frankly pointless and
circular) endless discussion we've been saddled with for far too long
already, and actually _made_a_decision_.

If someone does not like the decision taken, I'm sure the community will
be more than happy to revisit this weighty and ponderous issue again
after 2.8.

Meanwhile, this may be a good time for all to reflect a bit on the
virtues of acting, rather than just talking (and I'm more guilty of the
latter than most, in both my personal and professional lives, so I know
what I'm talking about here).

So: Glider it is. Now let the poor dead horse go rest in peace.

--

Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Mor�(mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden