Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 19:08, jamie wrote:
> An RDBMS would have enabled E-D-S to have been developed a lot lot
> quicker. Given the popularity of Corba amongst C developers, maybe they
> would prefer an RDBMS route? I am proposing to give them both as with
> rules on the server we can have as many API's or access methods as you
> like.

e-d-s *does* use a database as the backend for the contacts.  CORBA is
used as the external API and is wrapped in a pure-C interface for
convenience for "normal" GNOME coders.

A "true" RDBMS instead of Berkeley DB might have made development time a
little faster as more logic could be put in the backend, but that
wouldn't have helped backends for which a database makes no sense (i.e.
remote data stores such as LDAP) and RDBMSs don't have nice APIs to
access the data, we'd have to access the raw structure.  I prefer
passing around EContact pointers to passing around iterators to tables
and writing SQL when all I want to do is "give me the contacts with the
email address ross burtonini com".

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./