Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 19:11, Rob Adams wrote:
> So should gconf be deprecated in favor of Storage?  Or perhaps
> reimplemented using a Storage backend?  (Long term, obviously)

Well it seems a bit premature ;-)

I believe in Storage world to save prefs you basically create a tree
node following the Prefs DTD/schema/whatever. Probably one "prefs
document" per app.

To export all your prefs you query for all "documents" with that schema.
The prefs schema is probably a gconf-like bunch of simple key-value
pairs.

To keep the gconf API working you just map it to one of these documents
somehow.

For something like an address book, you wouldn't use the gconf API, we'd
have a standard schema for address book.

Havoc