Re: Structured storage? (was Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8)

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 22:13, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I do not see how the new trend towards structured storage avoids this
> failure, especially since every operating environment seems on track
> to grow it's own incompatible approach.

I do not feel that older structured approaches e.g. record-based
filesystems are readily comparable to something like WinFS.

At the end of the day, WinFS is merely doing the structure internal to
the filesystem that would be expressed externally by the file format.
Besides, the on-disk format is human-readable XML.

Also, Storage (and I assume WinFS) has a concept of "translators" for
converting from XML to old-style file.

	Robert Love