Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 00:49, Rob Adams wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 08:31 +0900, Jan Morén wrote:
>
> > Let Markus run Postgres, let Jamie run Firebird, let me run MySQL, and
> > perhaps have SQlite as the default, built-in provider in case no DB is
> > actually installed by the user?
>
> There's only so far really that you can carry that.  MySQL, for example,
> has severe limitation with respect to subqueries and some other features
> that are found in more complete SQL implementations.  Should GNOME
> restrict itself to the lowest common denominator?  Or perhaps our DB
> abstraction API could have a "capabilities" API to check for certain
> backend capabilities before allowing you to run applications that depend
> on more advanced features.
>
> For the vast majority of applications, though, I would imagine that the
> capabilities of MySQL would be sufficient.

The big advantage in standardising on a single RDBMS is better
integration. With firebird (and postgres) you can have stored procedures
and triggers that fire off events to which callbacks can be attached to
in your code - that way you get two way interaction. You cant abstract
that so if we allow multiple DB's we lose this essential and highly
desirable functionality (they all use different syntax for stored procs
so abstraction is a non starter here).

jamie.