Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 00:31, Jan Morén wrote:
> tis 2004-04-06 klockan 03.29 skrev jamie:
> > > PostgreSQL too. You can write stored procedures in whatever language
> > > that produces callable-from-C shared objects, Java, PL/PgSQL, Ruby, Perl
> > > and some more.
>
> [Discussion on relative DB features]
>
> > IMO, for a novice user wanting a no nonsense RDBMS with minimal
> > maintenance Firebird easily beats Postgres. Feel free to prove otherwise
> > - a proper and fair evaluation of installing postgres/firebird and the
> > issues surrounding them should reveal which is most appropriate.
>
> Assuming that we need an RDBMS for Gnome at all (not a given)
Well I only mentioned RDBMS cause Gnome storage was using one and if as
seems likely it becomes part of Gnome then you're gonna have one anyway.
Developing an alternative to an RDBMS for Gnome Storage would involve a
huge amount of work.

> , the last
> thing we should do is "standardize" (= impose) on one.
>
> First, they are, to a point, more or less interoperable. There is not
> much reason to force the use of one particular implementation. Second,
> apparently this is "holy war" material (who would have thought?), so we
> don't want to step in to another conflict.
>
> Third, and practically, if I already have a DB installed and running for
> other reasons (MySQL, just for the sake of discussion), the last thing I
> want is to have to care and feed _another_ DB server just because people
> on d-d-l had different preferences.
>
> Let Markus run Postgres, let Jamie run Firebird, let me run MySQL, and
> perhaps have SQlite as the default, built-in provider in case no DB is
> actually installed by the user?

yes you can but the downside is you limit functionality then. I.E we can
only standardise on tables, indexes and Ansi 92 SQL then. Triggers,
stored procedures and essential hooks into the RDBMS can not be
exploited. If you read Seth's page on storage they need these hooks so
its not easy to make it database independent ( you could of course
create these hooks as plug-ins I suppose - I dont know if SQLite support
these?). If it avoids a flame war and allows the introduction of this
technology to be smoothly integrated then yes I will agree with you on
this (we would also need an abstraction around creating
users/permissions for the various RDBMS then).

jamie.