Re: PROPOSAL: Evolution for GNOME 2.6

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:40:32AM -0500, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > It's long been on my "user-wishlist" to get rid of one or the other of
> > GtkHTML2 or GtkHTML (or both) in favor of Gecko (well, kind of, I've
> > always liked the GtkHTML2 code myself, but having 3 HTML libs in the
> > platform is bordering on ridiculous).  Having mozilla in the
> > desktop/developer platform creates a lot more duplication than just the
> > HTML renderer, however.  Off the top of my head it means we have 2 of:
> >
> >       * XSLT library (libxslt) -- not sure if this is in the platform or
> >         not
>
> Yeah it's in the platform. Though the public api is very small and
> probably not very complete.

   WHAT ? What is your problem there  ? What do you need you don't
have ? Libxslt reuses libxml2 for all XML related operations (parsing,
tree, etc ...). If you think that API is not complete enough that
will be an interesting viewpoint !

   Please stop the joke here, evolution didn't reuse libxml2 HTML tree
support for edition way back in 2000 "because they already had running
code and libxml2 tree model was too "bloated"". Now 3 years laters
they are still in search of another replacement for that code. Don't
do that mistake again.
   I do think that embedding mozilla might be a good idea, but it's
certainbly huge compare to gtkhtml2 (or what it could have become if
the manpower put behing gtkhtml1 had been used for it). From an XSLT
perspective their engine is slow, and doesn't support all XSLT-1.0
constructs.

Daniel