Re: vcard-integration for gnome

Am 22.11.2003 23:13 schrieb(en) Guido Schimmels:
Am 22.11.2003 21:19:05 schrieb(en) Darko Obradovic:
http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/HomePage

Sounds interesting. I even have it available on Gentoo. But apparently it only uses glib/gtk2 in the core, not more gnome-libs.

One of the reasons I store contacts as individual files is to make them managable with the file-manager, instead of locking them into some application. Then it would be silly to hide them. Another reason is the same reason why every modern mail client should use Maildir instead of mbox - robustness against data loss and processing speed.

Agreed 100%. And now I understand what drove you to that design, rox is very file-oriented, so your solution was just the natural choice. Why not. I'll play around with it this afternoon.

 How about Localization  therefor?
I plan to make it configurable and pick a default according to the locale settings. We must agree on a desktop wide gconf-key for that,
hence I suggested a "ContactsPath" key.

I think we can easily agree on this. After taking a closer look on how freedesktop specified the "~/Desktop"-folder.

From the spec, more than one vcard in a file MUST be
supported, so still stick with multiple files by default?

I have to think about how to handle that. One option I see - for my application at least - when it detects such a card it offers to add it to the folder(s) as individual cards. The interface is not designed to view such cards. If viewing without prior splitting is an important feature I would need to make some bigger changes.

Splitting sounds ok, if viewing is necessary, just call your GUI recursively on the rest of the vcards, so you get 3 windows opened for the file, why not.

You can get it here:
http://rox.sourceforge.net/rox_lib.html
Simply untar it and drop the whole directory into /usr/local/lib or / usr/lib.

Are you running some self-baked Linux? gnome-python should be readily available for every distribution.

ok, both of these are in gentoo of course. But honestly said, I'd favor a C-GnomeAop for this. But that should be ok, you could focus on rox, and the potential other app on gnome, why not? see below.

Did you use any lib for handling vcards, or do you expect every app to do that on it's own?

The parser is written ad hoc with the spec open in another vim window. That's real easy in python. Originally I was reading the properties directly into the text-entries. To prepare for the search facility I now load the card into a python dictionary (hash-table) as an intermediate step. I guess this could be easily factored out into a reusable class. But then it is still python code, sorry.

As soon as a C-program ants to use the vcards, it'll get harder, as parsing in C has to be 10 times more difficult than in python or perl. So a small lib would be good, which in turn could easily provide a python-binding for you. This would be based only on glib, so it should also be comfortable to use for you.
Having one centralized clean implementation is to be preferred imho.

Darko Obradovic