Re: vcard-integration for gnome

Am 22.11.2003 01:06 schrieb(en) Guido Schimmels:
I've been missing a stand-alone contact manager too, so I started to work on one last month. But it is written for the ROX-Desktop, which is based on Gnome technology, but it's a desktop shell of its own. I would however be willing to maintain a Gnome-HIG compliant version in parallel, if there was enough interest. It's a small app and will stay that way, so that wouldn't be a big deal.

Sounds good. I was searching for Rox and this page http://roxos.sunsite.dk/ looks more like it is a whole OS... *g* What does it share with gnome? Only GTK2, or some more libs? What's the difference? A link would be enough.

As for "architecture". Heaven, you people always think way too complicated. Currently my application stores all contacts as seperate vcards into ~/Contacts. Create a ContactsPath gconf-key, so you can include different sources, and you have your "architecture".

Who ever said an architecture can't be simple? Sorry, but creating them is kind of my business, so I always think in this term. I like your approach (hey, it's 99% similar to mine! *g*), but you should think about some advanced details before they catch you. Does it make sense to have directory user-visible? How about Localization therefor? From the spec, more than one vcard in a file MUST be supported, so still stick with multiple files by default?

I plan to submit a patch for Balsa. Currently Balsa expects vcards as one big chunk only. You can't import a whole folder. I don't know how evolution handles that. I guess it's the same problem there.

Well, it's mostly based on the old gnomecard, but they are looking for replacements. As mentioned, that's indeed one of my bigger goals for all this.

Here is my "Contacts" app:
http://roxos.sunsite.dk/dev-contrib/guido/Contacts/

(click on AppRun inside, to launch it, if you are not using ROX- Filer)

sorry, I have neither Rox-lib nor python-gnome here.
The screenshot only shows a gui for editing one contact. Does your app have a main window, or do you rely on selecting files in the file- manager? Did you use any lib for handling vcards, or do you expect every app to do that on it's own?

bye,

Darko Obradovic