Re: Proposing libgnomesu for inclusion in Gnome 2.6

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 05:04, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   well, the people working on gksu are currently creating their own
> library for login/auth stuff. I would prefer this library because it's
> actively developed (by a team of currently 4 people). I know that Hongli
> didn't have time to create a proper website/cvs repo for libgnomesu
> because he was too busy at school and I wouldn't want to see a mostly
> unmaintained module in GNOME (Hongli, this is not against you).
>
>   The gksu people are currently discussing whether they should provide
> some kind of login-deamon that enables password-less access for 15
> minutes if the authentication was okay. This might be a nice step
> towards a simple, easy and fast su-component for GNOME because the user
> doesn't automatically have to enter the password each time.

Personally, I'd prefer to see this left to PAM, like how Red Hat's
authentication w/ console-helper works.  This makes it easy and sane for
a system admin to tweak the login settings using standard tools and
practices.

> Regards,
>   Sven
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.