RE: Personal remarks on Epiphany/Galeon [Was: Release Team's Almo st-Final Modules List]

> From: iain [mailto:iain prettypeople org]
> On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 15:24, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > > From: iain [mailto:iain prettypeople org]
> > > Have a very very minimum set of utilities,
> > > and then have a gnome certified applications website, that you can
> > > actually find programs on, and let people work out what is
> > > best for them
> > > themselves.
> >
> > It's 5th Toe. It exists.
>
> No, 5th toe is as I and others seem to understand it, a "staging area"
> for moving into the desktop release, and as such causes the
> problems we
> saw when gnomemeeting was denied.

I don't think that's really what 5th Toe is. Modules should try to be in 5th
Toe first, but that doesn't mean that everything in 5th toe will go into the
desktop.

> If 5th Toe was simply a website listing applications then
> that would be
> fine. It doesn't solve the issues that I see with having "a desktop
> release"

So you have the software map on www.gnome.org if you don't want any implied
blessing of the modules.

I don't see any need for something between 5th Toe and the software map. If
you want 5th Toe to be something else, or better organised, then you should
work on that.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com