RE: Personal remarks on Epiphany/Galeon [Was: Release Team's Almo st-Final Modules List]

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 17:07, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> I don't think that's really what 5th Toe is. Modules should try to be in 5th
> Toe first, but that doesn't mean that everything in 5th toe will go into the
> desktop.

That is what people seem to think it is, and what it was always touted
as. "Its not quite ready for the desktop, it goes into fifth toe until
it matures". Look at the flamewar that was started over gnomemeeting
because the author felt he was being slighted when gnomemeeting wasn't
allowed into the desktop, even though it had served its time well in the
"training camp". That also shows what I'm talking about by perceived
needs vs actual needs. People have different views on what the needs
are.

> So you have the software map on www.gnome.org if you don't want any implied
> blessing of the modules.

a) You miss my point completely it seems. I am all for blessing. I am
against exclusiveness of "this is the only web browser/IM
client/maildoohickey that we feel is suitable for our users".
b) the software map on www.gnome.org is crap.

> I don't see any need for something between 5th Toe and the software map. If
> you want 5th Toe to be something else, or better organised, then you should
> work on that.

I don't want something between the software map and 5th toe.
I want rid of "the desktop package" as a huge and arbitrary collection
of programs deemed suitable.

iain
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"