Re: gswitchit [Was: Release Team's Almost-Final Modules List]

Okay, so somewhere along the line misinformation about gswitchit went
rampant and poisoned everyone's minds. :-)
:) Accepted:)

The remaining significant points about gswitchit were: its level of
integration within GNOME, and usability / interface design problems.
It uses GNOME control center for XKB and applet confuguration (well, probably the applet configuration itself should be taken out - no problem, it is awailable from the applet menu anyway).

Unfortunatly, I did not get any serious usabiligy/HIG-noncompliance reports yet. If you got some - could you please forward them to bugzilla (or to me directly).

We need to ensure that further integration work will not require new
features beyond the feature freeze on June 9, and given that the initial UI
OK. Actually, gswitchit is in kind of "feature freeze" state for rather long time (since I released the version compatible with XFree 4.3.0). All I could take from XFree 4.3.0 is already taken into libxklavier. All I do now is random bugfixing. The only serious UI part which bothers me now is bonobo-ggv-based XKB keyboard layout preview. I asked (here, in the list) the question about most GNOME-compatible way of doing this - and still got not a single answer:(

About the bugs - it seems my users have latest XFree, so I don't know (no bugreports) how well latests gswitchit deals with xfree earlier than 4.3 (well, earlier versions of gswitchit were ok for xfree 4.1 and 4.2 at least). Also, non-xfree servers were not reported. All I can claim is that I do not use any xfree-specific XK things except the ones introduced in 4.3.0 - and I am trying to check the configuration at runtime. As I said, bug reports are always welcome.

freeze is on July 7, we also need to be sure that gswitchit is at least
ready for UI review by then (rather than being at the 'redesign' stage).
I would be the first person interested in UI review. Probably the latest version is ready even now.

Is this stuff doable, and if it happens, will gswitchit have broad user
support? (I'm assuming it will, given comments about the current switcher!)
:) Well, at least in Russia gswitchit already have it. Also I got occational bug-reports and thanks from other countries. But I did not do any special PR - so probably there is a big market of international users who just do not happen do know about it:)

Cheers,

Sergey