Re: Major change in desktop handling

Am 16.05.2003 23:04 schrieb(en) Manuel Clos:
Yeah, I don't want to force everyone to use $HOME as desktop, just make it the default. Take into account that I'm using $HOME as desktop even when it is not the default. I just want to argue that it is a better default:

-> simpler, just one filesel button, just one "Work" place
-> no I10n issues!!! This is very important and I have seen no one to argue about this when using "~/Escritorio", nice eh!? -> you show the user his/her files!! Isn't *direct manipulation* in HIG???
-> forces you to clean up things
-> ...

One more argument for this default is that it's more compatible for users who don't use any Desktop at all. I disabled the desktop, and being forced to have a visible "Desktop"-directory in ~/ and a link to it in file-selectors is not good at all. And no, uninstalling Nautilus is no option, as I like it and use it a lot. You shouldn't force linking it to Desktp-Usage. :)

Darko