Re: Major change in desktop handling

Dave Camp wrote:
Nautilus' desktop should be a user-managed space.  System-managed files
do not belong on the desktop, even if they are hidden.

Nautilu's desktop? I missed the point. I think we were talking about user's desktop. :)

$HOME is the root of the user's writable filesystem.  All files owned by
the user must be placed somewhere in $HOME (except for special cases
like tmp files) - there's just nowhere else to put them.

So if you use $HOME as the desktop, you are forcing system-managed files
to be on the desktop (even if they are hidden by default).  This doesn't

Umh, system managed files in the desktop? I use $HOME as desktop, and I don't see system managed files. The only bad thing I see is the "evolution" folder which should not be there, and the strange-named launchers (only showing in ls, and that I rename). I don't understand your argument here, sorry.

make any sense - if a user turns on 'Show Hidden Files', they don't want
their desktop cluttered with a bunch of system-managed files.

--
Manuel Clos
llanero eresmas net

TCPA y Palladium: http://bulmalug.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1398