Re: Major change in desktop handling

Sean Middleditch wrote:
On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 06:59, Manuel Clos wrote:
Two buttons when we can go with just one (using $HOME as desktop)??? This doesn't help to make a simpler, cleaner, gnome desktop.
The thing is, they are separate. One is where my files go.  One is my
workspace. I don't want all my old stuff cluttered on my workspace. (Desktop)

Umh... consider creating a "Depot" folder in your $HOME directory ;)

Find files faster? I can't imagine a faster way to find my files than having them in front of me. I can't also understand why people insist in having two different locations for something unique, which force two buttons on file selectors. In the old gnome1 days, my $HOME was a crap. Now, with desktop = $HOME, everything is cleaned up. It forces you to clean up things.

I believed that too.  Except, I can't clean up a lot of stuff.  I can't
get rid of ~/public_html.  I can't get rid of ~/RealOne.  I can't get
rid of ~/evolution.  I have several directories I use only for coding,

evolution -> app bug
RealOne -> I don't know what it saves there
public_html -> don't you want to access this files to change them? Make the icon smaller if you use it less.

and never ever have any reason to access using GNOME (I code in a
terminal w/ ViM), but they have to be on my desktop somewhere.  (As I'm
still using $HOME.)  And like I said in a previous mail, a lot of
systems have ~/tmp or ~/mnt (both of which I've had and needed) or even
~/bin and so on.

With ~/Desktop, only what I want on the desktop is on the desktop.  In
$HOME, all the UNIX noise is there too.

Yeah, I don't want to force everyone to use $HOME as desktop, just make it the default. Take into account that I'm using $HOME as desktop even when it is not the default. I just want to argue that it is a better default:

-> simpler, just one filesel button, just one "Work" place
-> no I10n issues!!! This is very important and I have seen no one to argue about this when using "~/Escritorio", nice eh!?
-> you show the user his/her files!! Isn't *direct manipulation* in HIG???
-> forces you to clean up things
-> ...

If we are going to let users crap the $HOME dir, and have a tidy desktop, then PLEASE, remove the $HOME button from everywhere. It does not make any sense.

Except that you have to be able to get to it...

As a point that all $HOME dirs will be crap, I think this is more the
person.  You say that using $HOME as desktop made it clean; actually, it
just forced you to have good habits.  The folders on your desktop
probably weren't much better off.  Compare that to my system where it's
always been fairly clean - all I did when I moved to $HOME as desktop is
rename the folders to have a leading capital, to look prettier.  Because
I organize everything from the start.  ~,^  (Probably why I like the
NeXTStep file heirarchy so much more than unix.... ;-)

I see your point, it is just that I put ALL my work under $HOME, I don't separate coding from the desktop or any other work.

Just one last think: if the maintainer is picking ~/Desktop as default, please, solve the I10n issues firts.

Thanks!

--
Manuel Clos
llanero eresmas net