Re: $HOME as desktop

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 08:19:03PM -0400, Robert McMeekin wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > I really hesitate to jump in here, but I think it's worth stating
> > clearly why $HOME as desktop isn't an option:
>
> I think these threads are so long because the issue is somewhat circular.
> It seems to start that ~/.gnome-desktop isn't good because of something
> with the file selector not finding it, then $HOME isn't good because their
> are files in it that the user doesn't create, then people settle on
> ~/Desktop, because users can see it (which also seems to be why some
> people don't like it).

I think this whole thead is nonsense.  I think it's worth waiting till
a new fileselector has been completed before we figure out $HOME desktop.
We just don't have all the pieces yet.

Until we have a fileselector this whole thing is nothing more
than hot air/bits exchanged among individuals IMHO.

sri