Re: Major change in desktop handling

Le ven 16/05/2003 �6:08, Sean Middleditch a �it :
> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 09:54, Julien Olivier wrote:
>
> > The conclusion should be: if you don't expect a folder to be seen on the
> > user's desktop, whether put it in a hidden folder (~/.etc, ~/.var...) or
> > make it hidden itself (~/.evolution, ~/.public_html). If that is
> > respected, nobody will complain about ~/ not being the default desktop.
>
> So then the HTML files I manage in ~/public_html can't be accessed in my
> file manager without using hidden files?
>
> The solution isn't to hide files you don't want on the desktop.  The
> desktop is a workspace.  I might very well want files that I know about
> and work with that I don't want on my workspace.  These are like two
> spheres overlapping - files I care about, and files on my workspace.
> These spheres are not the same, but they do overlap.

If you intend to manage your HTML files using a file manager, what's the
problem with having "public_html" on your desktop. Maybe it should
simply be renamed "Website". Now, if you don't want to have it on your
desktop but you still want it to be accessible through nautilus, why not
have a "Documents" folder on the desktop by default and have Apache put
"Website" or "public_html" in it ?