Re: Major change in desktop handling

Le ven 16/05/2003 �2:01, Rui Miguel Seabra a �it :
> [Intentionally pruning the email, since this is a short point.]
>
> Hi,
>
> As long as it's possible to set the desktop-as-home-dir in a gconf-key,
> I'm very happy with whatever is the default in GNOME.
>
> Mark, I agree with you but the majority here believes you shouldn't have
> that configuration by default.
>
> Since it gives you only one more thing to set on a new desktop (once in
> your account's life), it isn't a big deal; and if you're making a
> distribution, you can always set the new value by default yourself.

IMO, the main problem is that developers' attitude is influenced by the
fact the the desktop is almost always _different_ from ~/. So they don't
hesitate putting folders like "evolution", "dcc" or "public_html"
directly in ~/ without hiding them. And they are perfectly right, given
the current situation. Now, I don't want to force people to use ~/ as
their desktop and I don't even really care whether it's the default in
GNOME or KDE but i'd like app developers to take into consideration the
fact that putting a folder in ~/ _may_ mean that it'll appear on the
desktop.

The conclusion should be: if you don't expect a folder to be seen on the
user's desktop, whether put it in a hidden folder (~/.etc, ~/.var...) or
make it hidden itself (~/.evolution, ~/.public_html). If that is
respected, nobody will complain about ~/ not being the default desktop.