Re: gnome-terminal awfully slow

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 12:22, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> In the grand scheme of things, the i18n and maintainability issues won out
> - if you're not happy with that now, consider your involvement and help to
> rectify the a11y issues during the 2.2 process.

This is what I am trying to do, to prevent this from continuing to
happen in 2.4 or 2.6 or whatever we choose to target as an
accessibility-friendly release.  My 'level of involvement' is
unsustainably high at present, so I need others' help to stay on top of
things; I think I speak for the rest of the accessibility team on that
point.

> > The massive task of keeping up with the
> > moving target that is GNOME, accessibility-wise, falls to only a couple
> > of individuals at the moment.  We need respect and assistance from the
> > rest of the GNOME community in order to provide meaningful
> > accessibility to our users and avoid embarassing and tragic failure in
> > this arena.
>
> Both of these comments are going to sound trite, but they're 100% on the
> money when it comes to working within the community:
>   a) GNOME helps those who help themselves

This could be insulting to people who are already giving 100%.
I understand about 'working within the community'.

>   b) help us help you

You are right, they do sound trite.
In case it was not obvious already, I am asking for help!

Getting accessibility right (or even off-the-ground) for a whole desktop
is hard, very hard.  One think it requires is committment, not just from
the core accessibility team but from others as well.

> It's really tiring being flamed for decisions long after the horse has
> well and truly bolted.
> - Jeff

My point is not flaming, my intention is as you suggest, to try and
improve the process.

More direct communication would help us.  Especially when there has been
a lot of back-and-forth about a topic, it's very easy for the final
decision to get lost in the noise.  Also, bear in mind that just because
an intention has been announced several times, that doesn't mean it
really happens in the end, at the preordained time; contrary examples
happen frequently.

And Marc for instance has trouble reading d-d-l regularly, the traffic
is simply too high.

One simple way in which GNOME can help us is this:

* when changes that have been called out as accessibility risks actually
take place, please make sure that we really know about it.  That can
mean an email to gnome-accessibility-devel or one or more accessibility
project maintainer with a heads-up, or a real short note to d-d-l which
clearly notes the change in the subject line.

-Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>