Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

Hey,

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 18:24, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Mark McLoughlin">
>
> > > One item that is not on your list that might be worthwhile/doable if the
> > > panel is changing fairly significantly: Launcher/drawer labels. Worthy?
> >
> > 	Umm, what exactly do you mean ? :-)
>
> Currently, launchers are just icons sitting on the panel, with tooltips.
> There was a bit of discussion a while ago about giving them labels, for a11y
> and clarity purposes:
>
>   [*] Mozilla  [o] CD Player  [o] Terminal
>
> I guess they'd work similarly to toolbar buttons -> tall panels would look
> like toolbars with labels at the bottom, short panels would look like text-
> on-the-right toolbars.

	Hmm, I think space on the panel is typically very limited. It does
sound like a good idea, but I'm not convinced anybody would want it in
the long run.

	I think the difference between the panel and the toolbar in this case
is that what the panel contains is configurable by the user - its like a
customisable shortcut bar. I'd imagine a user would quickly begin to
remember what each launcher on her panel is (discovered using the
tooltips) and the label would become useless.

	Certainly interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

Good Luck,
Mark.