Re: Discussion: Network Status and Profiles

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 15:29, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Frank Belew">
>
> > * User takes laptop home, and needs to disable the proxy from work
> >
> > * User has dialup access, but hangs up, doesn't want apps to incessantly
> > try and reconnect
> >
> > * User goes on a business trip, and needs specialized settings for
> > conference.
> >
> > * User goes to friends house with wavelan, and wants all his network apps
> > to reconnect. (irc, IM, imap, etc)
>
> Another interesting example is changing the smtp host based on your network
> profile. We'd need desktop-level integration of email configuration info to
> do something clever like that.

afaik, all these things are system-wide things that need to be done with
root privileges. So, what's wrong with GNOME System Tools, which already
lets you disable/enable network devices?

As for the SMTP stuff, that could be easily added to GST, I guess.

cheers