Discussion: Network Status and Profiles
- From: Frank Belew <frb ximian com>
- To: GNOME Desktop Hackers <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
- Subject: Discussion: Network Status and Profiles
- Date: 04 Feb 2003 09:24:45 -0500
Summary: Dynamic network settings needed to enhance mobile user
Background: More and more people are roaming on networks, whether simply
a laptop from home<->work, or even going down to the local internet
enabled cafe. GNOME needs a simple user oriented method of changing
network settings. Examples:
* User takes laptop home, and needs to disable the proxy from work
* User has dialup access, but hangs up, doesn't want apps to incessantly
try and reconnect
* User goes on a business trip, and needs specialized settings for
* User goes to friends house with wavelan, and wants all his network
apps to reconnect. (irc, IM, imap, etc)
As all of us can see, this is becoming a problem.
I'd like to have a preliminary discussion on the feasibility of this
setup before creating a proper GEP.
Issues to consider:
* OS integration for local settings, such as resolver, and hosts.
* Proxy configuration profiles
* Online/Offline/Profile Changed signals of some kind for apps
* Add your own issue I didn't think of
Let the Discussion begin!
Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.
Frank "frb" Belew
] [Thread Prev