Re: man page encoding

Keith Adamson wrote:

Small gripe concerning your outstanding work.

I have always used the "man" pages to look up command line options.  Now
I find that if I use the mouse to drag/drop an option from the "man"
page output to a term window it doesn't work in a bash shell ... for
some reason the "-" char in the "man" page output is not the same "-"
char that bash expects (the man page "-" char is three bytes long 0xe2
0x88 0x92).  Whats worse is that the char looks the same as the standard
'-' (ASCII, 0x2d) in the term window.  When the command is run it always
results bad and critic output.

Can this be fixed?
This is not a gnome issue. You probably switched over to a UTF-8 based locale, and groff is outputting the dashes as em dashes (those three bytes make up the single character U+2212). You can change what groff outputs by editing some of the files under /usr/share/groff/x.y/font/devutf8.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/