Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 02:03, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 01:47:29AM -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> > If something this damn important is still considered a prototype we
> > can't be shipping it in a stable release.
>
> You're missing an important distinction, which is that there are two
> separate things to stabilize, the user-visible experience and
> bug-freeness, and the API. libegg is not intended to be (inherently)
> unstable in terms of the first, it *is* intended to be inherently
> unstable in terms of the second.

As far as I can see, the GNOME experience with libegg so far is that
unstable API means unstable user-visible experience, because things get
imported unevenly and updated unevenly, and that is if/when they are
imported at all. So, I'm well aware of the distinction you're
describing, but so far the /practical/ distinction between the two
problems is small. Or so it seems to a naive but slightly technically
skilled user. :)

Luis