Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

Bill Haneman writes:
On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 17:49, Havoc Pennington wrote:
regarding Epiphany in gnome 2.4:
I would guess that for 2.4 there will be at least some features
missing (docs, perhaps; doubtless some button in Mozilla is must-have
to someone; unknown if accessibility will happen in time), but as long
as the browser is stable and usable I think it's OK to ship it,

I'd really hate to ship gnome 2.4 with gnopernicus and gok but with an
inaccessible browser, when a browser that works with gnome accessibility
is available from elsewhere :-/ seems to send conflicting signals.
of course it's not certain that gnopernicus will make the cut for 2.4
yet but we+BAUM are trying and I think it's a good possibility.
I know that a desktop without a browser is not good, but we have a
similar "works with but not part of" situation with OpenOffice ATM and
have had the same situation with Mozilla since GNOME's infancy.  So I
guess I'd rather wait till 2.6 to bundle a browser if we can't get the
ATK stuff working outside of Mozilla in time for 2.4. (my opinion, I know some will differ). - Bill

This is totally a Jack Straws Effect (http://mpt.phrasewise.com/2003/03/25#a486) if epiphany or galeon are not part of gnome there will be less motivation by developers to meet all the accessibility requirements. One reason i've been such a pita about getting good keynav support into epiphany (its not perfect but getting there) is that I want to see epiphany in gnome and meet the a11y requirements. On the other hand once epiphany or galeon become part of gnome there will be instantaneously more interest and willing hands to help meet the a11y goal. Having a working a11y friendly desktop right now is definately important, and I wholeheartedly agree with sun sticking with mozilla until such a time that epiphany or galeon meet their requirements. However gnome while aiming for an a11y desktop is also aiming for a "complete, and coherent" desktop experience and clearly mozilla does not meet this requirement at all, and even phoenix (while having a saner ui) is still completely out of step within the gnome desktop. dave