Re: Legacy apps and themes

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 17:38, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>   I use GNU Emacs with the traditional darkslategray/wheat color scheme,
> and I don't want to see it changed in any circunstance.  It follows that
> we want to be able to limit the effect of grdb to a subset of the
> applications, or disable it altogether.  gconf keys are sufficient,
> however, no UI is necessary.  Just keep a *minimal* set of options for
> power users, please!

The old grdb uses a set of files which are passed to xrdb -merge to set
resources.  There is a file for Motif widgets, a file for Athena
widgets, a special one for Netscape, one for *Emacs, etc.  Files are
looked for in a system location, possibly overriden by files under ~/.

I was thinking of including only the core toolkit ones, and some of the
applications (dropping netscape/xv/nedit etc). This way, if you don't
want to colour a particular application, creating an empty file with the
right name will stop it happening.

As an aside, all of the core X tools I can find look perfect with the
theme colours applied.  Maybe a badly coded app which hard-codes certain
colours would look bad, but they can be special cased.

Ross
                                      jabber: ross jabber debian net
                                    www: http://www.burtonini.com./