Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 16:07, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2003 23:49, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> |  On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 15:39, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |  > And I can't take seriously statements that "Nautilus doesn't require Web
> |  > View/embedded browser component"
> |  > For the Heavens sake, *how* you can have modern Desktop without
> |  > integrated browser?..
> |
> |  Because that's a stupid place to put the browser?
>
> Pardon?..

You put "Web View" and integrated browser in the same paragraph, I
assumed you mean that a modern desktop must have the browser
"integrated" into the file-manager/Nautilus.  Which is a stupid place to
put it, for reasons already discussed on the list.  ^,^

> |  GNOME *does* need an official browser distributed with the desktop, and
> |  the recent Mozilla announcements make this much more likely to happen
> |  sooner.  Once the GRE is released and stable, stabilized Epiphany/Galeon
> |  releases can be released sooner and have a chance of being official
> |  GNOME apps.
>
> So, decision is already made?
> I had impression that some people would be interested to have KHTML, not
> Gecko, as rendering engine.

Said "can," not "will."  Given the popularity of Galeon/Epiphany
already, the fact that there is no KHTML-based brower yet for GNOME, and
the fact that the new Mozilla direction more or less solves the majority
of reasons to use KHTML in the first place (bloat, speed, etc.), I'm
placing my money on Gecko being the "official" GNOME web engine in the
future.  ;-)

> |  I'd also agree with the integration of apps.  For example, how many apps
> |  need to send e-mail messages?  Quite a few, actually.  (Things like
> |  Bug-Buddy, or "Send Link" options in a web browser, etc.)  This could be
> |  simplified by having a standard GNOME "Send Mail" component/object,
> |  which just loaded Evolution or Balsa or whichever is the users' choice.
>
> Very good idea.

Logged an enhancement request to Bugzilla detailing my ideas for this.
Something I was mulling over, wanted to write up a spec myself (try to
be useful and all), but I think I realized it'll never happen if I rely
on me to do it.  ;-)

--
The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath.
  -- Led Zeppelin, "Battle of Evermore"