Re: Awesome new Mozilla roadmap!

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 15:39, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> And I can't take seriously statements that "Nautilus doesn't require Web
> View/embedded browser component"
> For the Heavens sake, *how* you can have modern Desktop without integrated
> browser?..

Because that's a stupid place to put the browser?

GNOME *does* need an official browser distributed with the desktop, and
the recent Mozilla announcements make this much more likely to happen
sooner.  Once the GRE is released and stable, stabilized Epiphany/Galeon
releases can be released sooner and have a chance of being official
GNOME apps.

I'd also agree with the integration of apps.  For example, how many apps
need to send e-mail messages?  Quite a few, actually.  (Things like
Bug-Buddy, or "Send Link" options in a web browser, etc.)  This could be
simplified by having a standard GNOME "Send Mail" component/object,
which just loaded Evolution or Balsa or whichever is the users' choice.
Relying on /usr/sbin/sendmail is pretty silly given the number of
systems these days that don't even configure that for anything but
local-user delivery.

Instead we have the e-mail component setting which is setup to just run
"/usr/bin/evolution %s" for a mailto: link.

I should probably write this idea up more formally and put in
Bugzilla...