Re: How do I switch to Sawfish??

Ali Akcaagac wrote:

the problem here is:

a) there are NO gnome 2 conform programming tutorials. only the gnome 2
  porting guide and a lot of outdated gnome 1 readme's.
b) api reference manuals are not enough to program things. specially for
  those that don't develop on gnome.

It would probably be a good idea to add overview/tutorial information to the beginning of reference manuals. I have some documentation like this at the beginning of the libglade manual (granted, it probably needs a little more updating since the 2.0 release). Like a lot of issues, people haven't had enough time to get good tutorials ready for gnome 2.0 (I don't think waiting for all the docs to be updated would have been worth it either. The gap between the 1.4 and 2.0 releases was already too long).

This area will improve, but it takes time (at the gnome 1.0 release, we didn't have the level of docs available at the 1.4 release either ...).

the gnome 2 plattform would have been done good to release good library
documentations for programmers too. so there could be real 3rd party
apps. so basically getting the new libraries are only the half of what a
developer needs. i mean if i read things like this (an example):

GnomeVFSURI

The gtk-doc framework should be converting this into a hyperlink to the GnomeVFSURI documentation. If it is not, then it is probably a bug in the documentation :) Again, this sort of thing could be addressed by better overview chapters at the beginning of documents.

then i don't get out much information. it opens and you need to unref
things but there is no where mentioned what unrefing means in detail.
having to read a lot of api and outdated stuff wich also contains
'FIXME: need to write chapter' doesn't help either. instead wasting the
time writing useless stuff like HIG or GEP it would have been more
important writing serious programming manuals with examples, with
detailed explainations why it was done, how one should use it and what
the purpose of things are.

The GEPs are not a waste at all. Take a look at the Python PEPs for an example. You get a good description of an upcomming feature, a discussion of the purpose of the feature and why you might want to use it, reasons why the solution was chosen over alternatives, etc. When a new Python release comes out, they point to the PEPs as whitepapers. It is very helpful to get a good understanding of what's new in the release without having to diff the reference manual :)

They also act as a starting point for detailed documentation of the feature. I don't think it makes sense to criticise the use of GEPs until we see their effect on the 2.2 release process.

and please belive me i read everything on d.g.o. if there wasnt these
nice documentations from michael meeks about bonobo and howto do some
basic things with it then i would probably be hopeless lost today.

even the old motif documentation are full detailed describing everything
etc.that is what i personally miss for gnome today.

It would be nice to get this level of documentation, and any help doing so would be appreciated.

this should be a constructive criticism without any flame intentions.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au   http://linux.conf.au/
WWW: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ | Jan 22-25 Perth, Western Australia.