Re: How do I switch to Sawfish??

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 07:08, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> but the main advantage of releasing it was the freezing of
> the libraries so that other 3rd party apps could begin
> development of gnome2 based apps without having to worry
> about changing API and ABI.

the problem here is:

a) there are NO gnome 2 conform programming tutorials. only the gnome 2
   porting guide and a lot of outdated gnome 1 readme's.
b) api reference manuals are not enough to program things. specially for
   those that don't develop on gnome.

the gnome 2 plattform would have been done good to release good library
documentations for programmers too. so there could be real 3rd party
apps. so basically getting the new libraries are only the half of what a
developer needs. i mean if i read things like this (an example):

GnomeVFSURI

then i don't get out much information. it opens and you need to unref
things but there is no where mentioned what unrefing means in detail.
having to read a lot of api and outdated stuff wich also contains
'FIXME: need to write chapter' doesn't help either. instead wasting the
time writing useless stuff like HIG or GEP it would have been more
important writing serious programming manuals with examples, with
detailed explainations why it was done, how one should use it and what
the purpose of things are.

and please belive me i read everything on d.g.o. if there wasnt these
nice documentations from michael meeks about bonobo and howto do some
basic things with it then i would probably be hopeless lost today.

even the old motif documentation are full detailed describing everything
etc.that is what i personally miss for gnome today.

this should be a constructive criticism without any flame intentions.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de