freeze status [was desktop preferences dialogs]

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 23:16, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Luis Villa <louie ximian com> writes:
> > Not to play the smartass here, but 'when?' I'm worried that we're
> > creeping up on the beginnings of freezes for 2.2 and we still have this
> > particular theme confusion, as well as no icon-theme capplet that I've
> > seen [which is a necessity for the new icon-theming stuff.]
> >
> > Luis [otherwise, 2.2 is shaping up well from a 'no major breakages'
> > perspective :)
> >

> I'll try to hurry. If I don't make it, we just nuke the one from
> gnome-control-center and go back to 2.0 situation. My current
> libwnck/metacity/gnome-terminal milestone bug list is... comically
> misguided. ;-)
>
> Re: icon themes, agree with daveb that it'd sure be nice to get the
> sweet metathemer thing as Seth proposed, but my estimate of the work
> involved there is "way more than we can do for this deadline," so my
> suggestion is that we add more tabs to the Theme capplet as RHL 8
> does. Adding an icon theme tab there should be trivial.
>
> It'd probably be a good idea to start posting the showstopper list for
> the freeze.

There really isn't a showstopper list; it's 'just' a feature/string[1]
freeze. The quality freeze comes later.[2]

Off the top of my head:
*final modules list :/
*theme capplet functionality
*new wireless applet has no preferences window, AFAICS; if it's not
there it needs to be implemented.
*further theme packaging/distribution, if there is to be any. [I really
want there to be some :)

are the only 'functionality' that I'm aware of and that need to be
implemented/decided on for the freeze. I'm sure I'm overlooking some
stuff, but AFAICT all the new widgetry and stuff have actual working
functionality plugged into them. So... please, if I'm missing stuff, now
is the time to raise issues.

Apps that have not previously been part of the Desktop may have other
requirements, but I've mostly been out of the loop on those. :/

Luis

[1]UI and a11y folks need to be thinking about working on testing stuff
RSN; as laid out in the schedule this first string/UI freeze doesn't
apply to them

[2]On that count, worst bugs that I know of are the b-a/g-s-d
interaction bug that mark quickly fixed this afternoon [thanks, Mark]
and the weird metacity bug with infinite window widths. [96234, possibly
fixed yesterday.] Oh, and VTE appears to be aborting on start for me,
but that's possibly idiosyncratic- haven't tracked it down yet.