Re: [Usability]Re: UI Review Suggestions - Preference Dialogs

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 17:43, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> Why? The buttons provide a visual que (preview) of what the desktop will
> look like for each type of background layout. Using an option menu and
> updating a larger image is pointless as changing the preference will
> automatically change the desktop background (INSTANT APPLY) and at this
> point a preview is worthless. Seth's background design is really nice,
> please don't break it.

The main problem people seem to have with it (and it comes up at every
ui-review, so it's not just an isolated complaint) is that people are
overwhelmed by the number of pictures in the dialog, many of which look
very similar depending on which image file you've chosen anyway.  And
also with the big toggle buttons, which are both kind of confusing
because we don't really use such things anywhere else in GNOME, and
because they look pretty much like the 'select picture' button which
does something completely different.

Maybe even just removing the picture from the 'select picture' button
would help clarify things, as it doesn't really serve any useful purpose
IMHO.

Cheeri,
Calum.