Re: lock down features

Calum Benson wrote:
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 08:38, Glynn Foster wrote:
MacOSX has a little lock icon whenever the preferences are locked down -
this to me was a pretty nice touch, although a little unobvious at first
that you were unable to lock it by clicking on it and entering in a
password.

I'd be interested to have a look at it and see how well it works on the
Mac, but some potential niggles could be:

- some controls might not have an obvious place to put the lock icon
(e.g. a toolbar button)

- if most of the controls in a dialog are locked, it could look pretty
messy

- it could mess up your layout somewhat, unless you designed-in a space
beside every control where the icon might go if required.

The OSX lock thingo is per-dialog, not per-control. i.e. either the preference pane you're looking at is unlocked (and you can change everything on it) or it is locked and you're stuck until you click on the lock icon (I think there is a text explaining this) and enter a password.

--
  Michele - micampe micampe it

Oh, look around you, all around you,
riding on a copper wave.