Re: the Nautilus context menu

Thanks, Ben, for keeping the bigger picture (the menu is long and threatens
to get longer) in mind here rather than taking a tangent on just one of
to possible solutions.

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 04:59:21PM -0800, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> Is there a bug to track this discussion? If not, there probably should
> be.

There are bug reports for some of the things I mentioned:
  Bug #82162 - conditionally cascading menus (Gtk+)
  Bug #77293 - about Cut/Copy/Paste on files (Nautilus)

Also, there are a number of bug reports about Rename, but I could not
find one containing the decision to disable the more direct way of
doing it.

A bug report to add conditionally cascading menus to nautilus would be
inappropriate because they don't exist in the toolkit and cannot be
done outside of the toolkit without reimplementing the GtkMenu* classes.
(afaik, and I tried really hard.)

Reports may exist for the following items, but I am not aware of them.
(All of these are meant to apply to nautilus)
1) Merge Open and Open With items and place the default opener at
     the top of the resulting submenu.
2) Implement menu editing.
3) Dependent on #2, remove Scripts submenu.
4) Remove icon stretching menu items in favor of controls in the property
   view or some other sort of control. (Sorry, I have no idea what sort
   besides something in the property view.)
5) MetaBug - Don't let the popup menu get too long.

> As far as doing menu reduction, here are some thoughts:
<snip>

The remainder of my reply will be on usability gnome org  I'm not even
sure this part should have been on this list. I don't think there's yet
anything ready for nautilus-list either.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan

P.S. - Could someone please point me to an FAQ for this list? The list info
       says "This list is for general GNOME Desktop Development issues."
       That's to me rather vague and the first day of posts to this list
       certainly don't make it any more clear.