the Nautilus context menu

The new nautilus has a feature where external plugins can insert menu
items in the context menu for files. This is quite powerful and lets us
extend Nautilus with new functionality from other apps (e.g. file-roller
can add a "create an archive from selected files").

However, it is also very easy to misuse this functionality to add stuff to
the menu entry that may not be suited. The context menu is a limited
resouce, and its already quite long. Several people disagreed with adding
context menu components, arguing that the menu was already to long.

So, since we (the Nautilus team) ourselves take great care when adding
entries to that menu, I'd like people that consider adding context menu
items that are installed by default to discuss their proposal and
rationale on desktop-devel-list or nautilus-list before doing this. This
is especially important if you add items that are shown for many or
even all mime-types.

I especially don't want lots of applications having a "launch my app in
this directory" entry in the menu. Remember, the context menu is supposed
to act on the selected file, and if you think there is a global operation
missing on the context menu, please contact the Nautilus mailing list for
a discussion on adding that to the nautilus code instead.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a witless moralistic dog-catcher with a winning smile and a way with the
ladies. She's a provocative junkie archaeologist who don't take no shit from
nobody. They fight crime!