Re: the Nautilus context menu

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, John McCutchan wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:30:17 -0500
> From: John McCutchan <ttb tentacle dhs org>
> To: Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>
> Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: the Nautilus context menu
>
> I think that we should do the right thing. Not copy what windows/KDE users
> expect. Gnome should not be trying to please Windows users it should
> be trying to do what is most obvious to the non computer user.

/me just deleted large chunks of previous rant ...

for short version see the footnote [1]

Do the right thing, dont just do the thing right now.
It is not about copying, it is not about *appeasing* users, just be able
to fully and wholeheartedly demostrate that a different way is
significantly better.  I would rather a system that made the same old
mistakes, and worked from there than whole new mistakes.

I am not saying that new ideas are inherently bad, but you have to weigh
up the costs and i think you are underestimating the costs and
underestimating how much of a pain in the ass computers are for most
people.
Have you ever had to explain to someone that 'double click' was to click
twice in close succession?  Have you ever had to explain that 'right
click' means to click using the right mouse button?

Rather than dwelling too much on the detail let us step back and forget
about right clicking (dont get me started on the middle mouse button) and
make an interface that allows most actions to be done simply with a left
click and keep the confusing right click business for the users who do
know about cut copy and paste.
The more I learn about usability the more I wish I want a Mac (with an
XServer to run all my favourite Gnome apps too of course).

Please tread carefully, you tread on my favourite desktop.

Sincerely
Alan Horkan

[1] short version: right click is not obvious to non/irregular users.
"Gnome Think differently, use adverbs properly."