Re: Viewports and gnome 2

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Ken Witherow">
>
> > I'm not a gnome developer but I have been a gnome user for a few years.
> > I'd like to throw my two cents into the debate regarding the removal of
> > viewports in gnome 2.
>
> I'll respond in questions. :-)
>
>   1) Have you used GNOME 2 yet?

I've been playing on and off with gnome 2 since around the first alpha,
however, the lack of a pager which works in the same method as the gnome 1
pager has prevented me from doing much more than toying with it. As I
stated before, viewports are an absolute dependency for me and I simply
chalked the pager problem up as something that was being ported and not
finished until I saw the threads recently regarding viewports.

>   2) If so, have you reported regressions, or desired features from GNOME
>      1.x that are now missing?

There are 3 main things I've noticed with gnome 2 (there'd be more save
for the first)
1) showstopper - gnome 1 style viewports (bug 79135)
2) annoyance but easy to adapt with another panel- lack of the quicklaunch
	applet
3) minor - missing gnome-pim package but it's being ported and I can use
	the 1.X version until it's finished