Re: Viewports and gnome 2

<quote who="Ken Witherow">

> I'm not a gnome developer but I have been a gnome user for a few years.
> I'd like to throw my two cents into the debate regarding the removal of
> viewports in gnome 2.

I'll respond in questions. :-)

  1) Have you used GNOME 2 yet?

  2) If so, have you reported regressions, or desired features from GNOME
     1.x that are now missing?

> The proponents of removing viewports in gnome 2 and going solely to
> workspaces are overlooking a few things that I find very important.

> Apparently, the powers that be decided that it was too "confusing" to have
> both viewports and workspaces so one had to be removed.

  3) Do you understand that no one is suggesting that we remove viewports,
     merely that we call the aggregation of the features (of what we used to
     call workspaces and viewports), 'workspaces'?

> To those whom contributed to gnome 1, I deeply thank you and want you to
> know your legacy will live on... to those whom are dictating what's best
> for me with gnome 2, I hope you find your greener pasture.

  4) Are you aware that GNOME is a very open and accepting Free Software
     project that encourages and enjoys contributions from a very large,
     diverse audience (read: not just hackers)?

  5) Do you know about bugzilla.gnome.org, the GNOME project's public bug
     tracking system, on which you can lodge bug reports, comments on
     existing bug reports, feature requests and the like?

I think you've missed a few critical points about the changes to GNOME 2.0,
and certainly the public environment in which they've been made. I strongly
encourage you to test a recent GNOME 2.0 build, and write bug reports on the
features - not the applications of terminology - that you miss.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
   I used the word 'infrastructure' when describing her cooking style...
                   and she didn't speak to me for a week.