Re: Viewports and gnome 2

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 10:50, Ken Witherow wrote:
> stated before, viewports are an absolute dependency for me and I simply
> chalked the pager problem up as something that was being ported and not
> finished until I saw the threads recently regarding viewports.

Yes, it is just being intentionally crippled.

> Dropping the functionality of viewports was a absolutely huge decision.
> While the mailing list did apparently discuss it, I never saw any
> public surveys on the main gnome web page, slashdot, linux today, etc
> soliciting information from users about what they are actually using, what
> should be dropped or added in gnome 2, etc. To me, the decision reeks of
> some managerial usability experts (read people who expect everyone to do
> everything the same way and if you don't like it, you're doing it wrong
> so conform) deciding that what's best for new users is best for power
> users simply because the prevailing theory says so. Until gnome 1 style
> viewports are returned (the absolute minimum acceptable means is to have
> an option to turn it on under settings or at worst, through
> gconf-editor), gnome 2 is simply unusable to me and I won't be able to
> participate in bug reporting, comments, etc.

Two suggestions:
 1:
[rms roque rms]$ cat >> .sawfishrc
(setq viewport-dimensions '(6 . 1)
(setq customize-command-classes '(default viewport))
^D

The syntax there is cols . rows

 2:
   If viewports disappear definitely from sawfish, do as I will:
   rpm -e sawfish2

Many window managers where natuarally selected by others that provided
the features most users wanted.

The acceptance of sawfish, as I see it, was that you could configure it
untill you had it just the way you wanted very easily, and it was easily
extensible through the rep lisp engine.

I wonder how many more ui problems I will find untill i reach the
following sad state:

$ rpm -qa | grep gnome
$

Hugs, rms