Re: background/font capplets

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 22:43, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> So my understanding is that we have a grid:
>
>         old backend     new backend
> old UI     A
> new UI                     B
>
> So we have A, and Seth wrote B; I haven't looked at the code, but I do
> understand Seth's point that adding the other two cells basically
> triples the work to make the change. If we're ending up at B anyway, I
> don't really get the point of the exercise, I have to admit.
>
> What is the rationale here? Just ease of reviewing the patch? Or do
> you really only want half of it in the end?

Please allow me to clarify: My rationale for this is that, when properly
done, the patch to change the UI builds on the patch to change the
schemas. Only a minimal duplication of effort is required. I have
several issues with the patch that Seth wrote, particularly that it is
not using property editors (thus making long-term maintenance more
difficult) and that it relies heavily on global variables. There may be
a justification for this, but I have requested one and none has been
forthcoming. Hence my decision. I am also concerned, as you suggested,
about the ease of reviewing the patch. I apologize for not being more
specific, but the amount of time pressure I am under makes it difficult
to conduct a detailed review.

I would also like to clarify that I am not opposed to changing the user
interface, though others here have stated the valid point that it is not
wise to make such a sweeping change so close to the release. This is
another valid rationale for having two separate patches.

> Havoc
Bradford Hovinen                                                  Hacker
http://primates.ximian.com/~hovinen/                 Ximian Desktop team
hovinen ximian com                                          Ximian, Inc.

Now what is history? It is the centuries of systematic explorations of
the riddle of death, with a view to overcoming death. That's why people
discover mathematical infinity and electromagnetic waves, that's why
they write symphonies.
                                      - Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago