Re: [G2R] Re: gtk+ 2.0.4 release?

Hi Owen,

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 15:53, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Well, honestly, I've never really inquired as to whether the freeze
> procedure covers GTK+ or not, because I don't think it's useful to ask
> questions when you are going to ignore the answer.

	Sigh; sadly this is one answer I can't ignore.

> I simply don't have time for doing a lot of extra steps; the effect
> would simply be that the release team would be left with GTK+-2.0.3.

	I think there are many options open to the release team to ensure that
we can have a freeze that works, and a stable product at the end of the
day; if you have time constraints / problems - it should be possible to
get someone to help you maintain a branch with an anal commit regimen.
The very point of it is that not much gets committed to it.

> Is GTK+ (and associated modules) essentially different from other
> modules? Probably not; though there are differences:

	Many of the differences cut both ways, particularly this one:

>  - It has no external GNOME dependencies.

	GTK+ & co. are crucial to everything in Gnome, if we release Gnome
2.0.0 with a show stopper in glib everything breaks.

> But I'm not arguing that GTK+ is different, or that the freeze
> procedures are bad;

	Contrary to popular belief the release team does not exist for it's own
amusement, or power freakery - we are setting up all these (tiresome)
procedures to ensure that we get an extremely high quality release.

	By refusing to abide by them, you undermine the whole process, the
policing of the freeze etc. if we don't all abide by the process, there
is no point in having it - and I'm just wasting my time.

> my position is just that I barely have time to do the standard
> (extensive) GTK+ release procedures.

	A lack of time is no explanation, it's merely a symptom of a priority
set that doesn't include respecting what everyone else is trying to do
and towing the line even when it's (deliberately) painful.

	And yes, I do greatly appreciate your immense, ongoing contribution to
Gnome, the huge amount of personal effort and gut busting you put into
the project, and your abnormal competence at doing the right thing etc.
this is precisely what makes it so galling that you, more than anyone,
refuse to engage constructively with us.

	I'd like to encourage you to follow the rules that everyone else has
to, or to suggest better ways we can have a controlled release.

	Sadly,

		Michael.